Monday, March 2, 2009

Spring Races

I've got to admit, one of the hardest parts about racing is registering, after driving to the race. I think my heartrate goes to LT immediately upon taking a glance at the NCNCA website. I finally pulled the trigger and registered for four whole races. No crits yet, but eventually I'll get that bad taste out of my mouth and go for it (I like sprinting, even if I'm not good at it.) Most of the races I've entered so far are longer road races and many will have small fields, so maybe I'll even get an upgrade point or two. My fitness is looking pretty good. I think I'm at the same level I was last June (at least that's what my whiz-bang hub says) which was definitely my peak for '08. I hope to not get hit by cars, crash on my MTB, and mostly not get sick for the coming weeks. The spring season will all be new for me except for a few races, so I'm looking forward to it.

It's been raining, a lot. I now have neoprene booties and one of those little Euro caps. Much more comfortable out. And on days where work is especially difficult, I find myself looking out into the storm outside wishing I was just hammering away into the wind. Cheesy, I know.

To get out of the rain, I'm going to make a trip to see some old friends down in SoCal in a week and a half. I'm going to load up the wagon with two bikes and all my riding gear and hope to get a bunch of quality visiting and saddle time in. That takes care of difficult work and rain at once!

No comments: